Tuesday 30 March 1982

30 years ago: 31 March 1982, Jomson Trek day 28, Naudanda to Pokhara

Wednesday 31st March 1982:  Naudanda to Pokhara (11 miles)
The trek was taking its toll as Colin was not feeling too good today.  We persuaded him it was sensible to continue on to Pokhara being relatively close and mostly downhill - in the back of my mind was the concern that if we left it a day in the hope he'd be better then Dave or I might not be.  We left Naudanda at 08:25 and reached Pokhara by 13:00 and the Gupta Lodge & Restaurant by 13:20.  It was a harder walk than we'd anticipated although the poor habitat along the way came as no surprise.  We’d walked approximately 220 miles in 4 weeks and I'd seen about 240 species including some stunning redstarts and rosefinches, Stoliczka's Tit-Warbler, Wallcreeper and the incomparable Grandala.  I had my first hot shower since Malaysia!

Birds recorded:  Cattle Egret 10, Black Kite 2, Egyptian Vulture 2, Asian White-backed Vulture 1, Long-billed Vulture 1, Griffon Vulture 5, Kestrel 1, Barred Cuckoo Dove 1, Common Hawk Cuckoo h, Barred Owlet 2, Great Barbet 2, Brown-throated Sand Martin 5, Swallow 30, Red-rumped Swallow 2, Paddyfield Pipit 1, White Wagtail 5, Red-vented Bulbul 5, Brown Dipper 1, Plumbeous Redstart 3, Stonechat 1, Pied Stonechat 2, Blue Whistling Thrush 3, Lemon-rumped Warbler 5, Black-lored Tit 2, Maroon Oriole 2, Black Drongo 2, Large-billed Crow 10, Chestnut-tailed Starling 40, Common Myna 30, Jungle Myna 30.

back to civilisation after 4 weeks trekking, there were times I would have welcomed one of these carrying my bag!

I'm sure our diets would have welcomed some oranges on the trek too

fortunately my shoes seemed to be holding out and not in need of a roadside repair

my clothes were lasting too

back where we'd started four weeks earlier, Fishtail hidden in the afternoon haze






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.