Monday 27 May 2013

The Burgh & Shoreham (26-27 May 2013)

Sunday 26 May.  Megan and I decided to go for a morning walk around the Burgh.  I wasn't expecting to see much at this time of year but is always a nice area to visit.  After spending five hours yesterday unsuccessfully looking for Turtle Doves on the Knepp Estate I was delighted that it was  one of the first birds seen, rather distantly in a dead tree.  I'd left my telescope at home which was typical but a footpath allowed us to get somewhat closer, into purring range at least.  The decline of this species in the last 10-15 years is a real concern and sadly it is hard to see that reversing.  Make the most of them while there are still some to enjoy.  Also at the Bugh we saw 2 Red Kites (one wing-tagged), 4 Grey Partridges, 6 Lapwings, 15+ Sky Larks, 2 Corn Buntings and a Hare while a calling Cuckoo remained out of view.
Turtle Dove at the Burgh, an ideal digiscoping subject if only I'd had my telescope with me
Red Kite at the Burgh
the wing-tags (yellow on left blue on right) had not been evident when I was watching it although in fairness that was mostly through the camera lens
the tags were more obvious from above

a second, younger, much tattier Red Kite
when is a 'visible' primary not a 'visible' primary?
Sky Lark at the Burgh
An evening visit to the Adur drew a blank, not helped by a family of bait-diggers being present, but 6 Swifts were seen over our road on my return (the first I'd seen all week).

Monday 27 May.  A few hours around Shorehan this morning was generally quiet.  Seven Sandwich Terns and a colour-ringed Herring Gull were seen at Shoreham Fort, 55 Sanderling on the beach at Widewater where the pair of Mute Swans have 6 cygnets, 2 Little Egrets and 2 Reed Warblers by the airport and a Buzzard and 3 Yellowhammers at Mill Hill.

North Thames Herring Gull GT1T
not one I've noted before
part of a flock of  55 Sanderling on the beach at Widewater
they were in a range of plumages with the front right bird one of several in full summer dress
Chiffchaff at Mill Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.