Sunday 2 June 2013

Beachy, West Rise & Arlington (2 June 2013)

I woke early and decided to give Beachy a go, more in hope than expectation.   It was a lovely morning and I spent 4 hours wandering around Birling, Belle Tout, the Head and the cliff path.  My more notable sightings were a distant flock of about 20 scoter flying east, a dozen or so each of Swallow and House Martin, a fly-over Yellow Wagtail, two pairs of Stonechats, a single Wheatear, five Jays and two Corn Buntings.  Also rather frustratingly I heard a Mediterranean Gull calling while I was in Belle Tout Wood but despite dashing out it couldn't be located.  
Stonechat above Belle Tout Wood
much under-rated!
Wheatear in Bell Tout gulley
Jay near the Old trapping Area
auto-focus failure
this one wasn't much better
As Beachy was so quiet I went on to West Rise Marsh where at least four Hobbies and 50 Swifts were seen and a Cuckoo heard.  I called in at Arlington on the way home where an hour not seeing Osprey was made more pleasant talking to Geoff and Sid.  Geoff even picked up a Hobby which made my visit worthwhile, unlike most times I go.  it is certainly a time of year that tests one's resolve to the extreme!
Hobby over West Rise Marsh
An afternoon walk around Anchor Bottom with Megan was very unproductive with single Whitethroat, Chiffchaff and Willow Warblers heard.  Later 7 Swifts over our road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.