Saturday 5 October 2013

Shoreham, Mill Hill and Goring Gap (05 October 2013)

Saturday 5th.  I couldn't go far so started at Shoreham Fort where 2 Wheatears were on the beach and 4 Chiffchaffs in a nearby garden.  The tide was low and a Kingfisher flew across the harbour.  Six Little Egrets were chasing around the western end of Widewater and 3 Chiffchaffs were in the bushes but the Mute Swan family appeared to have lost one of their cygnets since I last visited a month ago with just five seen.  There were few gulls on the Adur where 130 Lapwing and 18 Dunlin were counted.  A quick walk around Mill Hill produced a brief flight view of a calling Ring Ouzel, a Whitethroat, 4 Blackcaps and 3 Chiffchaffs.  Nine Sky Larks flew over as did 30 Swallows and 10 House Martins with an impressive flock of about 200 of the latter feeding on the ground.  I took my mum to visit my dad and then fitted two visits to Goring Gap around an MRI scan. The first was soon after high tide with at least 21 Mediterranean Gulls and 6 Sandwich Terns roosting in the fields but few Chiffchaffs in the trees.  The return visit probably took my Mediterranean Gull tally to 31.
House Martins at Mill Hill, part of a flock of about 200





Gulls at Goring Gap

Friday 4th.  Still 6 Wheatears on Southwick Beach on my way home.  Safe journeys and hope to see you back here next year.

Thursday 3rd.  Heard Meadow Pipits going over as I cycled to work but I was late leaving and didn't get to Southwick Beach on my way home until after dark.

Wednesday 2nd.  Eight Brent Geese flew east as I approached the King Alfred on y way to work.  On my way home 7 Wheatears were on Southwick Beach.  Lovely birds.

Monday 30th and Tuesday 1st.  Peregrine on Southwck chimney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.