Saturday 21 February 2015

Snow Bunting 1 Little Bunting 0 (21 February)

Saturday 21 February.  I started at Bexhill where the Snow Bunting was quickly found feeding between the toilet block and groyne 44.  A superb bird despite the unexpected drizzle making everything look rather dull.  I drove to Tunbridge Wells with the drizzle turning to sleet then snow, having to take a long diversion after an accident closed the road just short of my destination.  After dropping my camera off for a repair quote I headed to Old Lodge, arriving at noon.  There had been no sign of the Little Bunting with only 3 Reeds seen since 07:30.  I wandered around for two hours seeing 2 Wood Larks, 7 Goldcrests, 2 Coal Tits, a Jay, 2 Ravens and a single Reed Bunting before heading home.  I thought about calling in at Cuckmere Haven on the way but had had enough of driving 'across country'. Another time perhaps.


Snow Bunting at Bexhill
the best looking one I've seen for ages although they all are good





Old Lodge

the snow soon started to melt
 Wednesday 18 February.  My first day of real flexible retirement and an enjoyable afternoon walk around the Burgh with Megan.  We saw 5 Red Kites, 3 Buzzards, Peregrine, 14 Grey Partridges, 2 Stonechats, 3 Ravens and 5 Hares.  We were not alone in failing to find any Short-eared Owls, more is the pity.

Sunday 15 February.  Easing back into local birding, Megan and I walked around Cissbury Ring seeing 3 Buzzards and a Stonechat.

Thursday 12 February.  An estimated 12,000 Starlings around the Palace Pier and another 500 over the shell of the West Pier on my way home from work.  Impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.