Friday 14 April 2017

South Downs Farmland Bird Monitoring (14 April)

Friday 14 April. Left looking after Cookie over Easter and going away in May it seemed a good idea to do my early South Downs Farmland survey near the Burgh. Highlights of an enjoyable three hours were a rather late ring-tailed Hen Harrier, 2 Red Kites, 8 Grey and 6 Red-legged Partridges, 2 male Wheatears and my first Whitethroat and Blackcaps of the year.
pigeon and Hare at the Burgh
Red Kite

Red-legged Partridges near Canada Barn
Wheatear near Canada Barn
Thursday 13 April. I took Cookie up to Mill Hill where I saw my first Willow Warbler of the year and a male Yellowhammer.
Willow Warbler singing at Mill Hill
Wednesday 12 April. Megan and I took Cookie up to Mill Hill hearing Sky Lark, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff.
one of the first turbines from Mill Hill on a rare day of reasonable visibility - much taller than I was expecting 

Tuesday 11 April. North Thames Herring Gull P3WT was seen on the Level as I cycled to work.

Sunday 9 April. After yesterday's disappointment and still feeling very jetlagged in the mornings I decided not to try the coast. Megan and I took Cookie to Lancing Ring, completing a circuit to Cowbottom Hovel and Steepdown. Five Wheatears were nice but it was rather quiet with 2 Buzzards, 10 Sky Larks, 2 Meadow Pipits, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff heard and 4 Corn Buntings. As it turned out seawatching would have been a better option.
Wheatear, one of two seen near Cowbottom  Hovel
Saturday 8 April. A light SE wind was forecast but it was foggy along the coast and a seawatch off Shoreham Fort produced just 13 Sandwich Terns and 2 Brent Geese in half an hour. Disappointing return given how difficult it had been getting up (06:30 am being 01:30 in Guyana). A Swallow flew east at Widewater, welcome back, and North Thames Herring Gull Z9HT was on the Adur. 
North Thames Herring Gull Z9HT. I'd previously seen it here in April and August 2016. It was ringed at Rainham as a 1CY in November 2013 and was seen at Beddington in May 2014. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.