Wednesday 18 October 2017

Two-barred Greenish Warbler (18 October)

Wednesday 18 October. A successful trip to Dorset where the Two-barred Greenish Warbler was showing in dull weather at St. Alban's Head. John King and I were on site for two and a half hours and had a number of good but usually brief views. Most of the time I concentrated on watching the bird but a couple of times tried photography, twice finding it in the view-finder. It was a bird I'd wanted to see in Britain for many years. Nice to see John and Doreen Cooper, Richard and Ann Kelly and from my formative days in Cardiff Hadyn Jones. I also saw Black Redstart, 2 Chiffchaffs, a Goldcrest and 2 Firecrests.
Two-barred Greenish Warbler at St. Alban's Head
focusing was a problem when in the vegetation

the time it was in the open it was against the light and I'd forgotten to change the camera settings
Tuesday 17 October. A Peregrine on a lighting gantry near Southwick Power Station as I cycled to work.

Sunday 15 October. After a very quiet visit to Mill Hill with Cookie (3 Long-tailed Tits, 2 Goldcrests and a Chiffchaff) Megan and I took her to Rewell Woods to look for Hawfinches. We saw 21 although they were very skittish. Also a Red Kite and some brilliant fungi. Later, at low tide, there were two Le Havre colour-ringed Great Black-backed Gulls on the Adur.

Hawfinch at Rewell Woods.
another unintended action shot where I was late with the camera but shows how dumpy they are
Magpie Inkcap in the clearing at Rewell Woods
we were more impressed than Cookie was
Sulphur Tuft in Rewell Woods?
Le Havre Great Black-backed Gull 39S
Le Havre Great Black-backed Gull 58S, I had to do a double-take to be sure it was a different bird
Saturday 14 October. Johh King and I spent over 5 hours at Beachy seeing very little. I recorded 70 Swallows, 22 House Martins, 13 Stonechats, a male Ring Ouzel, 6 Chiffchaffs, 2 Goldcrests, a Raven, 350 Goldfinches, a Bullfinch and a Reed and 26 Corn Buntings. With light winds, albeit westerlies, we'd hoped for more.
Ring Ouzel in Shooter's Bottom
it rather saved an otherwise very quiet visit
smoke signals from Hodcombe being ignored by passing field trip
Friday 13 October. Megan and I took Cookie to Cissbury. Very quiet with single Green Woodpecker, Mistle Thrush and Jay seen and a Chiffchaff heard. Later I had a wander around Brooklands hearing a Chiffchaff and seeing 3 Long-tailed Tits. Not sure why I bothered but one always hopes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.