Saturday 18 May 2013

Margate Dusky Thrush (18 May 2013)

Monday 13 May.  Female plumaged Black Redstart singing by Shoreham Power Station on the way to work.

Tuesday 14 May.  Excellent views of singing Wood Warbler on a  pre-work visit to Buchan Park on the edge of Crawley.  Not helped by being caught up in an impromptu night closure on the A23 and the parks car park not opening until 08:00.  I was gone by 06:15.  Two Stock Doves, two Swallows and a Blackcap on Richmond Hill and Herring Gull A5HH by the University Sports Centre.

Thursday 16 May.  5-6 Swifts over our road - welcome back.  Mistle Thrush on Southwick Green and Peregrine on the Power Station chimney. 

Friday 17 May.  Sandwich Tern off Southwick and two Swifts over our road.  Went ot bed 11.20pm without looking at my pager.

Saturday 18 May.  Woken at 5 am by my mobile.  Got up to look and it was John King.  The land-line rang while I was in the toilet, still in a daze.  Megan answered it thinking it might be an emergency.  Dusky Thrush in Kent - it was!!.  I arranged to meet JK soon after 05.30, texted DC in case he'd not heard and was off.  JK and I arrived at about 07:25, just before the Coopers.  We watched the bird for over two hours getting excellent views and some reasonable digiscoped images - as will be appearing on many blogs tonight!  Both JK and I had to be back, me for a family engagement do at our house, so we left at 10 am very satisfied.  My first new bird in Britain for nearly two years, potential quackers excepted.
.






even when hiding there was often something of interest to note, here the claws showing no obvious evidence of wear






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.