Sunday 6 September 2015

the last person in Sussex to see the Black Stork?

The Black Stork was first seen when I was in Indonesia (still a blog on that one owing). I tried when I got back but despite sitting it out from 09:00-16:30 it didn't show, although tales of it attacking fat-balls in a small back garden didn't really add to its appeal.  I then had a week in France with Megan (another post owing), getting back last evening to discover it was still around.  I wasn't sure if I was happy or disappointed, it is that sort of bird.  I gave Birling a couple of hours this morning, which was nice, and decided to go over.  Most sightings appeared to have been between 10 and 12.30 so I dragged myself away from Beachy and arrived at 09:40, to learn from Tony Cook and Garry Bagnell that it had flown over Little Common Rec at 09:15!  Fortunately, as by then I was feeling like the only person in Sussex not to have seen it, it was picked up at 10:18 circling above us to some considerable height before drifting off SW at about 10:25.  Perhaps not the best Black Stork to have seen but basically it is the only one that has been on offer in my lifetime ...


Black Stork over Little Common




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.