Saturday 22 October 2016

Ashdown Forest (22 October 2016)

Saturday 22nd. I was up too late to consider going to Beachy so tried the Old Airfield on Ashdown Forest instead. In three hours of wandering around the western valley I saw the Great Grey Shrike twice, very distantly and quite distantly, 3 Buzzards, 5 Stonechats, 43 Fieldfares, about 40 Redwings, 2 Mistle Thrushes, 3 Goldcrests, 5 Redpolls and 30+ Reed Buntings. Later, with Megan on a very sunny Mill Hill we saw single Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Mistle Thrush and Chiffchaff. Text from DC of his second absolutely brilliant find of the autumn on Unst (Siberian Accentor, http://eastsussexbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/heres-couple-of-images-of-todays-find.html). I'm now packing, but off to Ghana early tomorrow not Shetland.
quite distant Great Grey Shrike in Ashdown Forest



Friday 21st
. A short-notice dental appointment meant I didn't get further than the Adur, Megan and I walking around at high tide seeing just a Little Egret.


sunset on my way home on 20th

Wednesday 19th. An early visit to Mill Hill produced Buzzard, 6 Stock Doves, Peregrine, 2 Stonechats, Redwing, 4 Chiffchaffs and a Goldfinch. Later Megan and I walked the 'festival of fungi' trail at Pulborough seeing an impressive selection of well signed mushrooms and puffballs and from Hale's viewpoint the family of 4 White-fronted Geese. 
Chiffchaff on Mill Hill

mushrooms at Pulborough, they were labelled but I've forgotten their name
likewise this puffball

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.