Saturday 6 April 2019

Seawatching at Seaford (5-6 April)

Saturday 6 April. I seawatched at Seaford from 06:15-11:15 in strengthening NE wind, mostly with ME, JK and SL. Not a patch on yesterday's SE'ly but still just about enough to keep one's interest. I recorded 3 Brent, 2 Canada and a Greylag Goose, 9 Shoveler, 2 Pintail, 20 Teal, 3 Velvet and 270 Common Scoter, 8 Red-breasted Mergansers, 18 Red-throated Divers, 45 Gannets, single Curlew and Dunlin, a second-summer Mediterranean Gull, 92 Sandwich and 13 Common Terns, a dark Arctic Skua and a Razorbill. Also seen were the Pied Crow, a singing female-plumaged Black Redstart, male Wheatear and adult White Wagtail. On the way home a Buzzard was over the A27 at West Hove. Later Megan and I took Cookie up to Mill Hill but a Stock Dove was the most notable bird seen.
Peregrine at Splash Point, Seaford
clear signs of blood on its breast


Friday 5 April. A SE forecast came true and produced one of the most enjoyable early spring seawatches I can remember. I watched with ME and JK from 06:00 (still dark). I stayed to 13:00 when I reluctantly left ME and JM-S and returned home for Megan's birthday. I recorded 25 Brent Geese, 2 Shoveler, 23 Teal, 6 Eider, 3 close Velvet and 1149 Common Scoter, 7 Red-breasted Mergansers, 31 Red-throated and 3 Black-throated Divers, 451 Gannets, a close tight flock of 9 Avocets, 2 Grey Plover, 7 Curlew, 3 Sanderling, 19 Little and 2 Mediterranean Gulls, 701 Sandwich and 283 Common Terns (all those identified being Common), 7 Great and 29 Arctic Skuas, 10 unidentified auks and 4 Guillemots. Also seen were 4 Peregrines and the Pied Crow. On the way home a Buzzard was over the A27 at Stanmer.

Tuesday 2 April. A Peregrine on Southwick Power Station on my way home from work.

Monday 1 April. A Peregrine on Southwick Power Station on my way to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.