Monday 2 March 2020

Owls at Pulborough and Newhaven (27 February and 02 March)

Monday 02 March. I spent a cold but enjoyable four hours at Pulborough RSPB seeing the Pale-bellied Brent, 3 White-fronted and 6 Egyptian Geese, a Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Ruff, 3 adult Mediterranean Gulls, ring-tailed Hen Harrier (seen on South then later North Brooks), 2 Buzzards, 10+ Sky Larks (over the flood and on fence posts emerging from it), Nuthatch and Stonechat. I didn't manage to find the Garganey and no-one I spoke to had. After lunch I took Cookie to Newhaven were from the West Beach we saw two distant Purple Sandpipers on rocks at the end of the West Arm, the Great Northern Diver just off the east jetty and my first Fulmar of the year. At the Tidemills the Short-eared Owl put in an appearance from 15:55 but wasn't particularly co-operative while a flock of 48 Curlews flew over and back.
Stonechat at Pulborough

Canada Goose (the more interesting geese were all very distant)
Pulborough Brooks from Upperton's Barn
Short-eared Owl at Newhaven Tidemills








Sunday 01 March. Megan and I took Cookie to Goring Gap at low tide where we joined other dog walkers on the few sandy bits of beach, unsurprisingly there were no waders in evidence. At least 9 Mediterranean Gulls were amongst the roosting gulls in the fields.

Saturday 29 February. Megan and I took Cookie to Mill Hill where Buzzard and Sky Lark were best.

Friday 28 February. I took Cookie to the Adur for low tide but again it was very quiet with 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls best.

Thursday 27 February.  I took Cookie to the Adur for low tide seeing 2 Mallard, a male Red-breasted Merganser (not sure if I've seen one here before) and a Lesser Black-backed Gull. In the afternoon I went to Pulborough RSPB looking unsuccessfully for the Garganey on the South Brooks although the light wasn't at all helpful. A superb Barn Owl, 20 Fieldfares, 5 Redwings and 3 Bullfinches made the visit worthwhile.
Oystercatchers on the Adur
trying out my new camera (Panasonic DC-G9 with 100-400 lens)
Red-breasted Merganser on the Adur
still lots to learn
day-flying Barn Owl at Pulborough









Redwing at Pulborough

  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.