Wednesday 21 July 2021

Around Shoreham and a return to Knepp (17-21 July)

Wednesday 21 July. I took Cookie to Knepp where we stayed in the shade as much as possible. I saw 3 Stock and a Turtle Dove, Buzzard, 3 Great Spotted and a Green Woodpecker, 2 Swallows, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, 3 Bullfinches and a YellowhammerIn the evening 10 Swifts were seen from the garden, my highest count this year.

Turtle Dove from Green Lane
most of my views at Knepp this year have been at a similar distance
Cookie feeling brave


not for long

Tamworth Pigs at Knepp





I don't recall seeing one with such an obvious bright crimson gular 
no sign of the three youngsters that were on  this nest 10 days earlier

Tuesday 20 July. Megan and I took Cookie to Shoreham Fort, walked along the boardwalk to the Adur Ferry Bridge and returned along the river. I saw 2 Oystercatchers, 2 Ringed Plovers, 2 adult and 2 juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gulls still on their roof, Sandwich Tern and Little Egret. In the evening 6 Swifts were seen from the garden.

Lesser Black-backed Gulls on a roof near Harbour Way

Monday 19 July. Megan and I took Cookie to Brooklands where we stayed in the shade as much as possible. We saw the Mute Swan family with 7 cygnets, a single Swift, Grey Heron and 5 Goldfinches. In the evening 6 Swifts were seen from the garden.

Coot at Brooklands



Moorhen at Brooklands

Sunday 18 July. Megan and I took Anna Ian and Cookie up to Mill Hill, feeling Steepdown, with no shade, would be too hot. I saw Green Woodpecker, Swallow, Whitethroat, Linnet and 2 Goldfinches and heard Chiffchaff and the Yellowhammer. In the afternoon we went down to a very packed Shoreham Beach and were lucky to find a parking space towards the end of Old Fort Road. I've never seen it so busy with many cars parked on restricted single or double yellow lines. Megan and I paddled while Anna and Ian swam. Cookie stayed home. In the evening 6 Swifts were seen from the garden.

Megan and me on the boardwalk

Saturday 17 July. My sister Anna and her husband Ian were coming down from London for the weekend. I took Cookie to the Adur beforehand. Between the Railway Bridge and Cuckoo's Corner I saw 20 Swifts, 5 Oystercatchers, an adult Mediterranean and 2 juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Grey Heron, 6 Little Egrets, Sky Lark, Swallow and 2 House Martins and heard Reed Warbler and Whitethroat. Later we met Anna and Ian at Wolstenbury enjoying fantastic views and some Bee Orchids. 

adult Mediterranean Gull on the Adur
juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the Adur
 



 

west from Wolstenbury
 
Bee Orchid at Wolstenbury




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.