Sunday 6 March 2022

Staying local, seeing little around Shoreham (27February-06 March)

Sunday 06 March. Megan and I took Nessa, Chris and Cookie to Mill Hill. It was exceptionally quiet with just a Kestrel and 2 Goldfinches seen. Late afternoon Megan and I took Cookie to Park Avenue where we saw both Ring-necked and Lord Derby's Parakeet in their usual tree.

Saturday 05 March. Nessa was down with Chris and Megan and I took them (and Cookie) to Worthing. I bought a warm beanie hat to replace one I'd recently lost, very timely as it was  cold on the pier. 

Friday 04 March. Megan and I took Cookie to Mill Hill where we saw BuzzardKestrel and 2 Skylarks. Three Stock Doves were in the garden during the day and late afternoon I took Cookie to Park Avenue where we saw both Ring-necked and Lord Derby's Parakeet in their usual tree.

Thursday 03 March. I seawatched at Widewater from 07:25-09:10 seeing 105 Brent Geese, 2 Ringed Plovers, 2 Kittiwakes, 13 Black-headed and an adult Mediterranean Gull, 3 Red-throated and 2 unidentified Divers and a Fulmar. Most were flying east, the Brents in 3 flocks of 30-40. I met Megan and Cookie near the Red Lion and we walked down to the Norfolk Bridge, across the Rec and back along the airport side. I saw 29 Teal, 2 Little Grebes, the Greenshank (in the houseboat channel), very few gulls, 2 Skylarks and 5 LinnetsLate afternoon I took Cookie to Park Avenue where we saw both the Ring-necked and Lord Derby's Parakeets.

Wednesday 02 March. Megan and I took Cookie to Brooklands where we saw an adult and 4 juvenile Mute Swans, 5 Teal, 2 Stock Doves, Little Grebe, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Coal Tit, Goldcrest and 9 GoldfinchesLate afternoon I took Cookie to Park Avenue where we saw both Ring-necked and Lord Derby's Parakeet in their usual tree.

Coal Tit at Brooklands
                             

Tuesday 01 March. Megan was back at the Library and I took Cookie to Widewater. Visibility was poor but the tide was quite high so we walked along to Lancing Sailing Club to check the wader roost. It wasn't there, just 11 Turnstones on the beach. On our return we did see the female-plumaged Black Redstart fly out from between beach huts and briefly onto a groyne by the eastern lagoon. My first this year although I'd seen one twice at Widewater in November. Seven Teal and a Dunlin were on the western lagoon. Late afternoon I took Cookie to Park Avenue where we saw both Ring-necked and Lord Derby's Parakeet in their usual tree.

poor visibility at Widewater

Teal at Widewater

Monday 28 February. Megan and I took Cookie to Mill Hill where we heard a Skylark and saw 1-2 Red Kites, 2 Buzzards and 13 Goldfinches. Later a Stock Dove was in our garden.

Red Kite over Mill Hill
                             



Sunday 27 February. Megan and I took Cookie to Harbour Way, walking to the Fort and back via the boardwalk. I saw a Dunlin and 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls at Harbour Way and a Purple Sandpiper at the Fort, my first since mid-January.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.