Sunday 31 December 2023

Late December around Shoreham (28-31 December)

Thursday 28 December. Southwick Canal with Megan and Cookie: Great Northern Diver (close views but no photos as my camera battery was dead - I'd forgotten to recharge after New Zealand).

Friday 29 December. Adur/Downslink with Cookie: 23 Lapwings, Yellow-legged Gull, 20 Redwings & Grey Wagtail (heard).

Yellow-legged Gull on the Adur, considered a near adult due to dark on bill and dull legs


size suggested female

Saturday 30 December. Mill Hill with Megan and Cookie: Single Red Kite and Buzzard.

Sunday 31 December. Brooklands with Megan and Cookie: 2 Little Grebe, 2 Long-tailed Tits and a Chiffchaff.

I finished the year seeing 160 species locally (my second best of year since 2020 when I started counting. A rather dismal 202 in Sussex (21st= out of 53) and 239 in Britain (17th= although my second best year since 1994). Local highlights were finding a Barred Warbler on Beeding Hill on 31 October and the big Leach's Petrel day on 2 November while finding a male Pied Wheatear, American Golden Plover, Dusky Warbler and 2 Hornemann's Arctic Redpolls with Dave Cooper on Unst and another Hornemann's there on my own, all during 08-10 October!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.