Sunday 14 July 2024

WEST SUSSEX: Dogs and a long overdue Sussex Caspian Tern (03-14 July)

DogsWith Cookie no longer with us (memories of Cookie) we were keen to have another dog but it was proving difficult to find one that appeared suitable. We saw one we hoped might fit before I left for Alaska. He had issues but we hoped by meeting him a few times so he got to know us we might overcome them. Megan was going to do this while I was away but Kennel Cough at the rehoming centre brought things forward and Megan collected him after I'd been gone only a few days. I returned from Alaska at 03:00 on Wednesday 3 July just over two weeks into his trial. I woke him coming in, not as quietly as I'd hoped. His barking woke Megan so I sneaked into the spare room and firmly shut the door. He seemed OK with me in the morning and Megan and I took him to Dacre Gardens and walked up to Bramber and back. He seemed fine but on the evening of 4th he bit me drawing blood when I reached down to pick up some plastic he'd taken from a bin and dropped by his feet. He'd bitten Megan badly when she'd tried to dry him after he fell into our small pond a week or so earlier (two weeks later Megan still has a deep wound). He had anxiety issues that we felt were too much for us to cope with. Very sad as most of the time he'd been a very friendly dog. He just seemed very anxious, without us knowing quite what might set him off. On 5th he went back, having had a three week vacation in Shoreham during which time he'd put on some weight. While at Raystede another dog, Otis, was recommended as a suitable match. We were given his details and asked if we'd be interested in meeting him on another day. We agreed and visited with Josh on Sunday 7th and took him for an extended walk. He seemed very friendly and a good fit so we decided to proceed. We collected Otis on Friday 12th and very early days but he seems to be settling in well, enjoying walks in our local park and further afield (Lancing Ring and Steepdown on Saturday 13th) and chilling in our garden.

Otis at Raystede
Otis exploring our garden

Otis relaxing in his new home

Birds. With Alaska photos and dogs taking up much of my time  I'd not done much birding. Bramber on Wednesday 03 July produced 22 Mute Swans, a Swallow and 3 House Martins. Megan and I took advantage of having no dog on Saturday 06 July and visited Pulborough RSPB where highlights were 7 Lapwings, 4 Little Ringed Plovers, 5 Black-tailed Godwits, Greenshank, 20 Swifts and 35 Sand Martins with a Red Kite over the A283 on our way home. The Adur on Monday 08 July was very quiet with juvenile Black-headed Gulls, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel and 12 Goldfnches best. A Raven over the Harbour on Tuesday 09 July, nothing cycling to Dentist in Hove and back on 10th, 5 Swifts over the allotment on 11th, 4 Swifts over our house on 12th when we left to collect Otis and Green Woodpecker, Red Kite, 3 Skylarks, 5 Whitethroats, 3 Linnets and 16 Corn Buntings at Steepdown with Megan and Cookie on Saturday 13 July.  That afternoon I was sorting Alaska photos again when Matt Palmer phoned. Did I know about the Caspian Tern on the Adur? No, where? Norfolk Bridge! Is it still there? Yes, watching it now. blimey, I'm on my way (I hope I said thanks for the call but may not have in my panic). Looking at WhatsApp as I left I saw several messages but I'd forgotten to switch on notifications when returning from Alaska! I parked on the Rec, rushed up to the Norfolk Bridge to find it had just moved out of view in a channel but hadn't been seen to fly off. Very stressful, the Norfolk Bridge offered the best vantage point but it might be visibly from closer to the Dog's Trust. I stayed on the bridge but news soon filtered though that the Caspian Tern was on view further down. I was soon watching it standing in a shallow muddy channel! Much relief as it was a bird I'd hoped to see in Sussex for very many years - probably my most wanted in Sussex, at least of those species one might realistically hope for. Thanks Matt. On my local patch made it all the better. It walked out of view and was then seen to fly upriver. i hung around for an hour but no further sing. I returned for a late tea and was just finishing and was wondering whether to return to the river when I heard that Matt Palmer had refound it south of the Old Toll Bridge. I hurried back but it flew off as I was approaching and the closest I came was watching John King and Chris Ball watching it fly away over the airport buildings as I approached. I stayed to dusk seeing 2 juvenile Little Ringed Plovers opposite Ricardos. Sunday 14 July. A morning visit to Worthing with Megan and Otis with nothing of note seen. An afternoon visit to the Adur, initially to look for a potential Audouin's Gull by the Houseboats but no sign of it. Careful examination of the photos sugested it was most likely a Herring Gull with dark muddy legs and bill. At the time though it seemed better to try and see it, whatever it was, rather than spend time assessing its images and then go too late. While looking for the gull on the Norfolk Bridge I saw an Old Lady moth (thanks to Keren for its ID). On the river opposite the airport were 2 Avocets, a Whimbrel and a yellow-flagged Curlew.

Corn Bunting at Steepdown
Caspian Tern on the Adur Saltings

Old Lady on the Norfolk Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.