Sunday 11 November 2012

Pagham North Wall and Shoreham Harbour (11 November 2012)

11 November.  An early call from David Cooper telling me the Hooded Merganser had reappeared at Pagham had me heading down to the North Wall again.  An incoming text and a call on the way had me worried it was news that it had flown off but thankfully it was John King checking that I'd heard.  Fortunately it was on view when I arrived, although not so fortunately it was the nearest bird!  It was on view pretty much the whole time I was there and although often the closest bird, feeding just off the sluice, it didn't really do anything to disgrace itself and was somewhat more impressive than I was expecting.  It flew out into the harbour several times although on each occasion it soon flew back.  I left after 90 minutes or so and headed back to Shoreham in time for a walk to the Harbour East Arm with Megan where we saw 4 Purple Sandpipers, 35 Turnstones and a distant unreadable North Thames colour-ringed Herring Gull.  Then it was off to my dad's for an 88th birthday family get together where a Jay on their Hove lawn was a bonus.


how one first wants to see a Hooded Merganser, swimming away
the bright light made photography difficult as the bird was often in its own shadow

it was very active diving near the sluice
going, gone ...
brilliant crest
keeping a careful eye on the birders
so where were you yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.