Wednesday 6 March 2019

Cuckmere Ibis (06 March 2019)

Wednesday 06 March. I took Cookie to the Cuckmere where the Glossy Ibis was in the first field north of the road showing well from the riverbank. With the tide high we continued to the first bend seeing 3-4 Scandinavian Rock Pipits by the river. One in particular was in full summer-plumage, or very close to it, but remained on the far bank. Also present were seveal Meadow Pipits and what I took to be a Water Pipit although it had a poor supercillium and was quite heavily streaked below. We turned back and walked down towards the sea to look for gull flocks. There were lots of gulls in the flooded fields between the river and Harry's Bush amongst which I saw 3 Mediterranean Gulls (2 adults and a 2CY) amongst the commoner species. Despite a strong wind and high tide there were relatively few Great Black-backs, maybe 200 in total. Halfway back to the car I saw a Cattle Egret feeding in the top of a field to the west, not something I'd noticed on the way down. Back home 3 Stock Doves were in the garden.
Glossy Ibis at Exeat

with what looked like a snail
Scandinavian Rock Pipit
with Meadow Pipit
Cattle Egret in the Cuckmere
no longer the rarity it once was - I travelled from Sussex to North Wales in January 1981 to see my first in the UK after missing one on Cornwall the week before (1200 miles for a bird I'd now think seriously about travelling 12 miles to see).
Tuesday 05 March. A Peregrine was on the roof fo the Power Station as I cycled ot work.

Sunday 03 March. More poor weather so Cookie and I visited Shoreham Fort where 2 Purple Sandpipers were on the wooden jetty at high tide. While there 30 Brent Geese flew east. A pair of Red-breasted Mergansers were on Widewater, not unexpectedly given the rough weather.
male Red-breasted Merganser at Widewater, often under-rated
Saturday 02 March. Megan went up to London for the weekend leaving me on dog duty. With poor weather forecast I walked up the Adur from Cuckoos Corner to Dacre Gardens seing a Common Sandpiper and 6 Reed Buntings. The Rooks and Grey Herons were quite active in the trees near Coombes.
Common Sandpiper near Dacre Gardens, presumably the bird I'd seen here in late January
Friday 01 March. While walking Cookie at Mill Hill I saw 4 Redwings, 2 Mistle Thrushes and 12 Blackbirds. Later Megan and I took her to Widewater and Lancing Beach seeing a Kingfisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.