Friday 21 May 2021

Shoreham and Woods/West Mill (19-21 May)

Friday 21 May. I seawatched at Widewater from 06:15-08:00 in gale force W winds. A combination of the wind and high tide made viewing difficult with birds disappearing into troughs. My highlight was a group of 5 Swifts battling their way in. I also saw  6 Common Scoter, 4 Fulmars and 26 Gannets, most flying west, and 6 Swallows coming in. At low tide I took Cookie to the Adur where at times it was difficult to stand up straight (not that I'm much good at that normally). I saw 2 Oystercatchers, 21 Great and 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a Sparrowhawk.

horizontal windsock at Shoreham Airfield

Thursday 20 May. Megan and I took Cookie to a windswept Mill Hill where we saw Blackcap, Whitethroat and Yellowhammer. Back home Starlings on the lawn entertained us.



Wednesday 19 May. I spent two hours at Woods Mill before crossing the road and walking along West Mill to the Downslink. Another look at around Woods Mill on my return clocking up almost 5 hours of wandering around. Cookie stayed at home as non-assistance dogs are not allowed at Woods Mill. At Woods Mill I saw 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Little Grebe, Jay, 8 Reed Warblers, 2 Blackcaps, 8 Whitethroats, 3 Mistle Thrushes, Nightingale, 4 Bullfinches and a Reed Bunting while Cuckoo and Cetti's Warblers were heard.  West Mill produced 5 Swifts, Turtle Dove, Cuckoo, 9 Lapwings, BuzzardCetti's Warbler (heard) , 6 Reed Warblers, 2 Blackcaps, 3 Whitethroats, GoldcrestNightingale (3 heard), male Bullfinche, Yellowhammer and 3 Reed Buntings. The Turtle Dove was a pleasant surprise, flying over my head as I emerged from the hawthorn passage. I've not encountered any this year although on my previous visit one was seen/heard by others while I was in the area. In the evening 4 Swifts were seen over the house, welcome back.

male Bullfinch at Woods Mill


female Bullfinch at Woods Mill

Nightingale at Woods Mill, just within my '5 miles from home' radius



Reed Warbler at Woods Mill

photogenic Robin at Woods Mill

Little Grebe at Woods Mill

Orange Tip at West Mill


Reed Bunting at West Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.