Wednesday 24 June 2020

Lavington and Knepp (23-24 June)

Wednesday 24 June. I took Cookie to Knepp, my first visit there for three weeks. Very little bird activity in comparison although I did hear two Turtle Doves and saw one of them, also seen were 2 Stock Doves, 2 Buzzards, Green Woodpecker, Coal Tit, 2 Chiffchaffs, 3 Whitethroats and a Treecreeper. The free-flying White Storks were in evidence with one sat on last year's nest, five flying around and a pair with three now almost full grown young. Of the two other nests I'd seen on earlier visits one appeared deserted while our route did not pass the other. I also saw 5 Purple Emperors, two were kindly pointed out to me by other visitors, the other three I bumped into without really looking. Seven Swifts were over the garden in the evening.
Turtle Dove just outside Knepp, just one seen this visit
White Stork on last years nest
one adult in one of this year's nest trees
the other adult, no room in the nest
three close to full grown youngsters
GB5H to the left, GB3H to the right


no surprise the other is GB4H, good luck to them all, not that I support their introduction
Purple Emperor at Knepp
another Purple Emperor at Knepp
enticed onto a finger (not mine)
another Purple Emperor 



Tuesday 23 June. I took Cookie to Cuckoos Corner and we walked up towards Dacre Gardens and back. Birds seen included 19 Swifts, 7 Little Egrets, 2 Buzzards, 5 Sky Larks, 15 House Martins, 12 Sedge and 3 Reed Warblers, 3 Whitethroats, Stonechat and 7 Reed Buntings. In the evening I went to Lavington for my final Woodcock survey this year. I wasn't expecting to do very well for this declining species having had three then two encounters on my earlier visits this year. Flushing a Woodcock off a muddy path before the survey started was a good sign, although I was cursing not having seen it on the ground. Expecting that might be it I was very pleasantly surprised to have six more encounters between 21:33-21:55 probably involving three birds. I also saw three Nightjars and heard a couple more, at least two distant Tawny Owls and two Dartford Warblers.
Reed Bunting north of Cuckoos Corner


startlingly Black and White Bunting from below







Reed Warbler north of Cuckoos Corner





another equally obscured Reed 



Sedge Warbler north of Cuckoos Corner





distant Stonechat
Whitethroat north of Cuckoos Corner
metal ring not seen well enough to read
Nightjar at Lavington
a fly past at 21:32






Woodcock over Lavington, 21:37


how anyone can shoot any birds for fun is beyond me, particularly something as wacky as a Woodcock 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.