Tuesday 16 June 2020

Red-footed Falcon (day 7) and Blyth's Reed Warbler (16 June)

Tuesday 16 June. I returned to Beeding Hill where I'd agreed to meet Frank Lambert. He was there when I arrived at 08:30 and we watched the first-summer male Red-footed Falcon for just over an hour before it flew off north. It was never that near so I only took a handful of photos. Frank told me it had been closer before I arrived. Also seen were 2 Swifts, a Stock Dove, 2 Buzzards, 2 Kestrels, 20+ Sky Larks, 2 Meadow Pipits and 3 Corn Buntings. A WhatsApp message early afternoon had me rushing over to Beachy Head where Laurence Pitcher had found a singing Blyth's Reed Warbler by Belle Tout Wood Car Park. After an anxious hour's drive over I had another anxious hour of only hearing it briefly and missing a couple of brief views. Chris Ball then picked up around the other side of the clump of bushes and I had some decent scope views. Photos were very limited as in my rush to leave home I'd left my memory card in the PC and had limited space on my back-up. An excellent find by Laurence - real birder's bird. Nice to see a lot of familiar faces out of lockdown, it almost felt as if things were back to normal. Four Swifts over the garden at dusk added a touch of normality to the day.
Red-footed Falcon on Beeding Hill - day 7. It flew off at 09:40, possibly for good?
Blyth's Reed Warbler at Belle Tout, much better through a telescope, showing dark feet



check the wing formula






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.