Tuesday 31 December 2019

Mediterranean Gull on the Adur (27-31 December)

The decade finished with a Mediterranean Gull on the River Adur. It had me thinking about when I'd seen my first during a seawatch at Portland in April 1974, by then I'd been birding for 4 years. It took me until March 1980 to see one in Sussex (a second-winter at Shoreham, then only my 17th in Britain). How things have changed. Although I don't see them on most visits to the Adur this year I've seen about 50 including 37 on the Adur on 10 July. A little further afield I saw 514 flying east at Widewater in 10 hours of watching during 20-22 April, although my day record is 528 past Seaford in 9.5 hours on 23 April 2017 when I had to leave.

Tuesday 31 December. I took Cookie to the Adur by Shoreham Airport soon after low tide seeing a Brent Goose, 2 Teal, 128 Lapwings, 19 Redshank and a ringed adult Mediterranean Gull.  
Mediterranean Gull on the Adur
a recovery opportunity lost by only fitting a metal ring (or not using a durable colour ring)
Monday 30 December. Megan and I took Cookie to Brooklands where we saw 4 Teal, Goldcrest, Stonechat and 6 Reed Buntings.

Sunday 29 December. I took Cookie to the Adur seeing 129 Lapwings, 11 Redshank and 19 Linnets. Later with Megan we heard a Song Thrush on Mill Hill.

Saturday 28 December. Megan, Nessa and I took Cookie to Shoreham Fort and along the boardwalk seeing 9 Turnstones, Purple Sandpiper and 37 Greenfinches. Later I dropped Megan and Nessa in Chichester and took Cookie to Hayling Oysterbeds. Highlights there were 2 Goldeneye, 24 Red-breasted Mergansers, 3 Black-necked Grebes and a Marsh Harrier. Forty-five minutes before dusk in the hide at Chichester Yacht Basin perhaps unsurprisingly failed to produce the hoped for Bittern or Bearded Tit. Three Egyptian Geese, 39 Pheasants and heard Water Rail and Cetti's Warbler were no consolation at all.
Black-necked Grebe from Hayling Oysterbeds
Friday 27 December. I took Cookie to do my Winter Downland Bird Survey west of the Burgh but it was a mistake as soon after we arrived some not so close shooting started. Cookie was not impressed and had to be kept on her lead to prevent her from running off. Highlights were 3 Barnacle Geese flying up the valley, over my square and back down again, 9 Grey Partriges, 23 Stock Doves, 2 Red Kites (and 5 more from the Triangle on our return), 15 Sky Larks, 51 Pied Wagtails, 32 Meadow Pipits, 73 Linnets and a single Reed Bunting.
Red Kite near the Burgh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.